Breaking News: sdfkjkjffdsjklfdskjldfkjlfdskjlsdjklsdkljsdf

Italy's trade balance surplus narrows in September

Published: Nov 15, 2013 - 12:21 PM GMT ;

Italy's current account narrowed to €227 million in September, while its foreign trade balance produced a surplus of €794 million, compared to an estimated €1.63 billion.

Rome Italy Flag IS29963463 ISIFA. IS_29963463. epa02633903 A flower arrangement representing the Italian flag was planted in Rome's central Piazza Venezia in Rome, Italy, 14 March 2011. It marks this week's 150th anniversary of the unification if Italy.

by Bronislav Zajacek and Zofia Sucha
WBP Online

Rome - Italy, which has been struggling for nine quarters with recession, reported on Friday that its current account had narrowed in September, while at the same time its foreign trade surplus tightened in the month.

The country's current account balance fell to €227 million in September from €425 million, data provided by the National Institute of Statistics (Istat) on Friday showed.

Trade balance

Italy's foreign trade, one of the components of the country's current account, generated a non-seasonally adjusted surplus of €794 million during September, down from an upwardly revised €1.074 billion in August, Istat said earlier in the day. The surplus narrowed at a faster pace than the €1.63 billion analysts had predicted.

Exports picked up 2% to €32.215 million in September, measured on an annual basis, while imports ticked down 0.1% to €31.421 million.

Trade with EU countries saw the surplus narrow to €472 million in September, from an upwardly revised €507 million reported in the previous month. Trade with EU member states represents 54.3% of total foreign trade, while trade with non-EU members makes up the remaining 45.7%.

Italy's economic output

The gross domestic product (GDP) of the third largest economy in the euro zone declined for the ninth straight quarter, by 0.1% in the third quarter, according to the Istat release published on Thursday. The figure is based on preliminary analysis. In the second quarter, economic output fell 0.3%.

On an annual basis, Italy's GDP dropped 1.9%. In the second quarter, a 2.1% fall had been recorded. All figures were working-day adjusted.

To contact the author of this story, e-mail bronislav.zajacek@wbponline.com or zofia.sucha@wbponline.com

Photo: ISIFA
Indices
Energy
Bonds
Currencies
Metals
Agriculture

Central Banks

Bank Current Next Changed
FED 0.25 10/29/2014 12/16/2008
ECB 0.05 11/06/2014 09/04/2014
BOJ 0.10 10/31/2014 12/19/2008
BOE 0.50 11/06/2014 03/05/2009
BOC 1.00 10/22/2014 09/08/2010
RBA 2.50 11/04/2014 08/06/2013
RBNZ 3.50 10/29/2014 07/24/2014
SNB 0.00 12/11/2014 08/03/2011
PBOC 6.00 - 07/05/2012
RBI 8.00 12/02/2014 01/28/2014
CBR 8.00 10/31/2014 07/25/2014
Bank Current Next Changed