Latest Breaking News from Stock Markets, Forex, Bonds and Commodities for traders
Sharemarkets in Asia trade cautiously in anticipation of the FOMC's decision on when the US will see a pull-back in its stimulus. Meanwhile, stocks in Japan take cue from positive trade data that saw exports surge in May.
Japans trade gap climbed less than forecast in the month of May as exports rose a healthy 10.1% on a weaker currency, while imports climbed 10% in the month.
Wellington??- New Zealand's current-account deficit in the year ending in March stood at NZ$10.1 billion, or the equivalent of 4.8% of the nation's output, contracting slightly from the December quarter when it was 5% of gross domestic product, as exports of dairy products shot up, as well as spending by overseas visitors, Statistics New Zealand said on Wednesday.
Wall Street's major stock indices booked gains at the closing bell as investors were optimistic about the outlook for the Federal Reserve's economic stimulus policies.
Gold was trading lower on Tuesday, heading for a weekly loss, as the market waits for the Fed's policy decision, which may cast doubts on bullion's safe-haven status.
Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a statement at the G8 summit calling for the establishment of a “transitional government” in Syria as quickly as possible. The action is putting more pressure on his ally, President Bashar al-Assad.
Crude oil futures climbed on Tuesday, as the market awaits stockpiles data from the American Petroleum Institute, while the Syrian crisis weighs.
Sterling kept losing against the dollar on Tuesday, albeit receding from its one-week low, as traders eagerly await output from the FOMC's two-day meeting.
News By Sector
- Politics Syrian "transitional government" G8 document agreed by Putin Scotland’s referendum conundrum Rohani elected Iran's president More »
- Economy Japans exports climb in May, trade gap still widens NZ current account deficit shrinks with rise in exports, tourism Obama: Bernanke in office 'longer than he wanted' More »
- Equities Asian stocks await Fed's stimulus call, Nikkei up as exports leap US stocks end higher on Fed hopes US stocks swing higher amid pending Fed decision More »
- Fixed Income / Bonds Spain beats auction target despite higher yields Italy auctions €7.829B in bonds, long-term yields unchanged PREVIEW: Italy aims to sell €8B at auction More »
- Currencies GBP/USD: Sterling stays lower, FOMC statement awaited USD/JPY: Dollar pares gains as FOMC statement looms EUR/USD: Euro at 4-month high after US fundamentals More »
- Commodities Gold holds losses, trades near 4-week low WTI crude oil rising ahead of API inventories WTI crude gains ahead of API inventories data More »